Mardi Gras Pancakes
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Servings: 6-7 4 inch pancakes
- 1 cup Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup colorful fruit flavored rice cereal
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- Heat pancake griddle to 375F. Lightly grease griddle. Stir pancake mix, water and orange juice together with a wire whisk - do not over mix. Gently stir in cereal and orange zest. Let batter stand 2 minutes.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle.
- Cook pancakes 1- 1 1/4 minutes per side, or until golden brown, turning only once.
- Creme Anglaise: In a small saucepan over medium high heat, bring heavy cream and vanilla to a slight boil around the edges. Once at a boil, remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of hot cream mixture to the egg yolks, whisking continuously. Transfer egg mixture to the saucepan with milk mixture. Continue to whisk until mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon.
- Top pancakes with Crème Anglaise and garnish with additional colorful fruit flavored rice cereal.
What’s Cookin’ Chicago?
Joelen Tan of “What's Cookin' Chicago?” is an avid food enthusiast with years of experience as a culinary instructor, food blogger and former professional restaurant chef. Although she has a culinary background, as a mom to a kindergartener, she makes sure that her blog perspective and recipes are approachable and rewarding for anyone to make. As a result, you’ll notice that she conveys her blogging from a food-loving perspective. Joelen loves hosting bake party get-togethers and themed dinner parties with friends and family, while often using Krusteaz mixes as the inspiration!
Keep it real in the kitchen with these fun ideas