Valentine’s Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
One package Krusteaz Butter Vanilla Sugar Cookie Mix
1 large egg
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
one 14-ounce tub store bought whipped cream cheese frosting
6 ounces cream cheese, softened (lite okay)
1/4 cup (half of 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
2 drops red food coloring, or as necessary for desired color
About 3 to 4 tablespoons Valentine’s Day themed sprinkles
- // Bars – Heat oven to 350F, line an 8×8-inch pan with aluminum foil for easier cleanup, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- // To a large bowl add all the cookie mix, egg, butter, and mix with a handheld electric mixer until combined; dough takes a couple minutes to come together.
- // Turn dough out into prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula as necessary.
- // Bake for about 24 to 26 minutes, or until center is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Allow bars to cool completely in pan on a wire rack before frosting.
- // Frosting – To a large bowl, add the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, salt, and beat with a handheld electric mixer until smooth.
- // As desired, add the red food coloring. I was going for a pale pink and added 2 drops. Add slowly and mix well after each drop or two.
- // Turn frosting out over the bars and evenly sprinkle with sprinkles before serving. Bars will keep airtight at room temp for up to 4 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week. I am comfortable storing frosted items at room temp but if you’re not, store in the fridge.