How to Make Waffles from Pancake Mix
While we adore pancakes here at Krusteaz, we know that some days call for something a little different. Something like… waffles! That’s precisely why we’ve made our pancake mixes so versatile–even on days when pancakes aren’t what you want, you can still rely on Krusteaz to make breakfast a little extraordinary.
In this article, we’ll explore how you can make waffles from Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix and give you a step-by-step guide on how to make the perfect waffles at home.
Step 1: Gather Your Waffle-Making Tools
Before we dive into the waffle-making process, let’s make sure you have the necessary equipment. What you’ll need:
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Waffle maker
Different Types of Waffle Makers
Ah, the star of the show–the waffle maker. This essential piece of equipment is typically made from two plates that you press together to cook up the batter from both sides at the same time. When it comes to waffle makers, there are two main types to choose from:
- Classic Waffle Iron: Also known as an American-style waffle iron, these traditional waffle makers feature thinner plates, which make waffles with a slightly crispier exterior.
- Belgian Waffle Iron: The Belgian waffle maker features deeper plates, which make waffles that are thick and fluffy with deep pockets that are perfect for holding all your favorite toppings and syrups.
Step 2: Make the Waffle Batter
Now that you have the equipment ready, let’s get started on making the waffle batter. Follow these simple instructions:
- 2 cups of your favorite pancake mix (we used our Buttermilk Pancake Mix)
- 1 1/2 cups of cold water
- 1 egg
- 2 tsbp of vegetable oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pancake mix, water, egg and vegetable oil.
- Stir the mixture until all lumps are dissolved, but be careful not to overmix the batter.
- Feel free to add your favorite mix-ins, such as blueberries, chocolate chips, or even a dash of cinnamon for an extra kick.
If you would like to use another Krusteaz pancake mix, please refer to the back of the box for proper waffle-making ingredients.
Step 3: Prep the Waffle Maker
Now that your waffle batter is ready to go, it’s time to get your waffle maker prepped and ready for action. Taking a few extra moments to properly prepare the waffle iron will ensure that your waffles cook to perfection and effortlessly release from the plates. Here’s how:
- Preheat Waffle Maker: Preheating the waffler maker helps the waffles cook evenly. Each waffle maker has its own preheating time, so make sure to follow the instructions on yours.
- Grease Waffle Plates: Once preheated, lightly grease the plates with your preferred method. You can use cooking spray, or melt a small amount of butter and use a pastry brush to apply it gently onto the plates. Greasing your waffle maker helps the waffles release from the plates.
Pro-tip: if you’re making multiple waffles in a row, reapply a thin layer of cooking spray or butter between each batch to maintain that smooth release.
Step 4: Make the Waffles
Now that your waffle maker is prepped and ready to go, it’s time to grab your batter and cook up a batch of waffles!
- Pour Batter into Waffle Maker: Carefully ladle about 1/2 cup of waffle batter (or enough to fill the lower plate) onto the center of the preheated waffle maker. The amount may vary depending on the size of your waffle maker, so adjust accordingly. Be mindful not to overfill the waffle maker, as this can lead to messy batter spills and uneven cooking.
- Spread the Batter for Even Coverage: To create perfectly shaped waffles with consistent thickness, gently spread the batter using the back of your ladle or spatula. Aim for even coverage, ensuring that the batter reaches the edges of the waffle plates.
- Close the Waffle Maker and Let it Cook: With the batter perfectly positioned, close the waffle maker gently, but firmly. Follow the instructions on your waffle maker for cooking times. Generally, waffler makers come equipped with indicator lights or audible alerts that signal when the waffles are fully cooked.
- Avoid Peeking Too Early: Resist the temptation to open the waffle maker prematurely to check on your masterpiece. Each time the waffle maker is opened, it disrupts the cooking process and may affect the waffle’s texture. Trust the cooking times provided by your waffle maker and allow it to work its magic undisturbed until it signals completion.
- Keep Waffles Warm: If you’re making multiple batches of waffles, you can keep them warm and toasty in a preheated oven. Simply place the cooked waffles on a baking sheet and keep them in an oven set to the lowest temperature setting (around 200°F) until you’re ready to serve. This way, everyone can enjoy their waffles fresh and hot.
Step 5: Time to Eat
Now is the moment you’ve been waiting for! Stack ‘em high or serve them up one by one. There’s no wrong way. Before digging in, we suggest adding some tasty toppings and finishing touches. Let your creativity run wild and treat yourself to a breakfast or brunch that will make you smile.
- Sweet Sensations
Pour a generous drizzle of maple syrup over your waffles, allowing it to seep into every pocket. Try topping your waffles with a handful of fresh berries–strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries are all excellent choices. You can sprinkle some powdered sugar or a dollop of whipped cream. Or melt some chocolate chips or Nutella and let it cascade over your waffles for an extra sweet treat.
- Nutty Delights
Add a little crunch with a handful of toasted almonds, pecans, or walnuts to your waffles. The combination of the fluffy waffles and the nutty textures will delight your taste buds. For a finishing touch, drizzle honey or caramel sauce on top of the waffle and nuts.
- Tropical Fusion
Top waffles with sliced bananas, toasted coconut flakes and a drizzle of sweet pineapple sauce. The tropical fusion will transport you to a sunny paradise with every bite.
- Savory Side
Pair waffles with crispy fried chicken for a classic combination. For a gourmet twist, top your waffles with smoked salmon, cream cheese, and a sprinkle of fresh dill for an elegant brunch entrée.
- Ice Cream Party
Turn a waffle into an ice cream sundae by topping it with a scoop (or two) of your favorite ice cream flavor. Add a handful of crushed cookies or candies, and don’t forget the cherry on top!
- Share the Joy
Host a waffle brunch and let everyone personalize their waffles with an array of toppings and syrups.
Whatever you make, make it Krusteazy
Pancakes or waffles? Waffles or pancakes? With a box of Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix, the choice is all yours! Let your taste buds guide you as you decide to make pancakes or waffles from pancake mix. With Krusteaz in your kitchen, the possibilities are endless. We can’t wait to see what you’ll make.
More Tips & Tricks
Find helpful baking advice and inspiration.