5 Ways to Jazz Up Muffin Mix
You can make amazing muffins simply by following the box direction on your favorite Krusteaz® mix. But sometimes you want to be a little extra and make a baked treat that’s out of the ordinary.
That’s what makes Krusteaz® mixes so fantastic. Our mixes—made with quality ingredients—can be the start of something especially delicious.
Toss in a few extra ingredients, add a surprising topping, or make something completely unexpected. With Krusteaz®, you can open a box of imagination.
Makers love to use these 5 ways to experiment with muffin mixes to make something extra special.
1. Add Fresh or Frozen Fruit to the Batter
Our Wild Blueberry Muffin Mix comes with a can of blueberries for your convenience, but you can easily add fruit to any of our mixes. Try adding raspberries to our Almond Poppyseed Mix. Add strawberries to chocolate muffins. You can even experiment with crushed pineapple and mandarin oranges to add a citrus twist to your favorite muffins. We recommend adding 1/2 to 1 cup of fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) fruit. Gently fold into the batter. Bake as directed.
2. Add a Cream Cheese Filling
Cream cheese adds a touch of decadence to any muffins, but it pairs especially well with our Pumpkin Spice Muffin Mix. Follow our directions below to make a tasty cream cheese filling:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1. In large bowl, mix cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla together until smooth
- 2. Fill prepared muffin tins with the muffin batter of your choice
- 3. Top each muffin with 1 tablespoon of cream cheese mixture
- 4. Use a toothpick to swirl into batter
- 5. Bake muffins as directed or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean
More Cream Cheese Inspiration
Want more ways to add cream cheese to muffins? Try these recipes:
- Blueberry Cheesecake Muffins
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Glazed Eggnog Cheesecake Pumpkin Muffins with Gingerbread Cookie Crust
3. Add Nuts to the Batter
Pecans, walnuts, and almonds can add a crunchy texture to moist muffins. Gently fold in 1/2 cup of your favorite chopped nuts into your muffin batter. Or try adding a scoop of peanut butter or peanut butter powder to the batter. If the mix gets a little too thick, just add a splash of water to even out the consistency. Peanut butter and chopped nuts work especially well with our Chocolate Chunk Muffin Mix and Double Chocolate Chunk Muffin Mix, but they can be added to any of our convenient mixes.
Feeling extra nutty? Try these fabulously easy muffin recipes:
- Pumpkin Muffins with Carrots and Nuts
- Coconut & Blueberry Crunch Almond Muffins
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Muffins
4. Add a Sweet Topping
You can top muffins with a dusting of cinnamon and sugar, a handful of chopped nuts or pumpkin seeds, or a daub of Nutella®* or frosting. But our favorite way to add a finishing touch to muffins is with a streusel topping. Made with just sugar, flour, and butter, streusel topping transforms normal homemade muffins into works of art so delicious they should be in bakeries. And it’s super easy to make. Follow our directions to add streusel topping to your favorite muffins.
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1. Stir together flour and sugar
- 2. Cut in butter with fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly
- 3. Sprinkle over batter in muffin cups
- 4. Bake muffins as directed
5. Make Something Completely Different
Sure, you can make amazing muffins with our mixes, but we know that sometimes you just want to change things up and make other deliciously awesome baked treats. Free your culinary creativity and baking ingenuity by using one of our muffin mixes as the start of something delectable. Use them to make sweet coffee cakes, Bundt®** cakes, donuts, breakfast cookies, and so much more.
Get inspired with these recipes:
- Blueberry Breakfast Cookies
- Almond Plumb Cake
- Berry Cobbler
- Pumpkin Donut Holes
- Peanut Butter Swirl Snack Cake
Make it Fun. Make it Krusteaz®
Make muffins by the box directions. Add a few extra ingredients. Use our mix to make delightfully tasty baked treats. However you choose to make Krusteaz®, just remember to make it fun, and make it yours. Now grab your box of muffin mix and make it happen.
*NUTELLA IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF FERRERO, S.P.A.
CONTINENTAL MILLS, INC. IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH FERRERO, S.P.A.
**BUNDT IS REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF NORTHLAND ALUMINUM PRODUCTS, INC.
CONTINENTAL MILLS, INC. IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH NORTHLAND ALUMINUM PRODUCTS, INC.
More Tips & Tricks
Find helpful baking advice and inspiration.